Monday, 30 April 2012

Café Reconcile



Café Reconcile exists to do two things; assist those affected by poverty through life-skills training in a real restaurant surrounding, and cook absolutely mind blowing New Orleans style soul food at easy to swallow prices.
Located in ‘Central City’ on Oretha Castle Haley Blvd, Café Reconcile hopes to open more locations throughout the city in the next coming years, allowing them to accept more at risk youth into their highly sought after program.
I heard about the Café through my travel companion, and headed over for lunch (they are only open select hours for lunch and not on weekends). The staff is so warm and effusive, it does not smack of despair or charity, only hope and hard work. We had many servers over the course of our lunch, all stopping to ensure we were enjoying our food and making chit chat.

Being my first day in New Orleans, I was keen on trying the special Seafood Gumbo ($6.49), with a side of fresh baked jalapeno cornbread ($2.49). The gumbo had a complex deep brown roux, the hallmark of a good gumbo, and the seafood was tender and tasty, especially with a good helping of the popular Crystal hot sauce that is so ubiquitous in New Orleans.

The cornbread was a fluffy chunk of sweet bread, speckled with a few whole jalapenos which were spicy but a great complement to the gumbo.

I really wish they would consider either opening in Toronto, or delivering. I think for now I’ll just hone my own roux skills and look forward to my next trip down there!

Café Reconcile is at 1631 Oretha C Haley Boulevard New Orleans  and can be reached at 504 568-1157.



No comments:

Post a Comment